Select Page

I thought about taking my car to Mexico, it`s a 2001 jeep. I want to have him there all the time when I`m on vacation. How is that possible? Is it better to pay only for the 6-month permit? The car will drive in a small town where no license is required, or what is recommended? If you intend to drive your vehicle beyond the 25 km border zone (checkpoints exist) or somewhere outside a defined free zone (the free zones are: Baja California Peninsula, a defined area in the state of Sonora and the state of Quintana Roo), you must have a valid TIP to avoid fines and confiscation of the vehicle. You must obtain authorization before entering Mexico: they are not available in Mexico or at checkpoints inside Mexico. If you want to get rid of your car, there is a procedure where you can “donate” it to Mexican customs. More information can be found here on the Mexican SAT website. If you plan to live in Mexico or leave your vehicle in Mexico indefinitely and use it without worrying about the validity of your permit, permanent importation is the best option for you. The main goal is to legalize your vehicle so that it can remain on Mexican territory indefinitely, without risk of seizure or fine. Once your vehicle is legalized, you can apply for Mexican license plates and purchase insurance for your vehicle. If you have a question about how much a car should be legalized in Mexico, it depends on the vehicle. Right now, you can only legalize vehicles that are 10 years old and are manufactured in NAFTA countries.

To determine if you meet this criterion, you need to check the VIN number and find out if it starts with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 – you qualify. There is talk of expanding that particular option later. There are limitations and various options for vans and other types of vehicles. This generally applies to normal vehicles. The process usually takes between two and three weeks. If you want to import your car into Mexico permanently – and by that we mean registering your car with the Mexican government – it varies across the country. But first, a few tips. If you`re planning to import a car into Mexico, you may just want to sell your car and buy a new one once you`re a resident. It can be quite difficult to legalize your car in Mexico. Bringing a car permanently to Mexico is not easy, and there is a strict criterion for nationalization.

There`s a good chance your beloved vehicle won`t meet these meticulous standards. If you are unable to book an appointment online, you can also contact in person the location in your province or territory where you normally register a vehicle. Hello Kent, The rules for car imports have changed and been strengthened in recent years, hence the information in this article. Our article on “Living in Mexico without a car” ( is more about considering lifestyle choices than avoiding car imports. Long-term residents who want/need a car tend to buy one locally and completely avoid the paperwork for importing a car. If you need a recommendation for moderators, check out our COMPLETE Mexico Relocation Guide, where we not only give you the steps to bring your car to Mexico, but we also put you in touch with our recommended car brokers who will help you with this particular amnesty as well as other automotive issues such as – TIP extensions, car registration for newly purchased vehicles, Get your driver`s license and plan your car for the new emissions test. Qunitana Roo: If you are driving from Belize to Mexico and staying within the border of the state of Quintana Roo, you do not need a Temporary Import Permit (TIP). If you want to officially import your car, we recommend that you use a customs broker to do so. (Import regulations are complex and depend on the type of vehicle, place of manufacture, age, etc. extinct.) We will be moving to La Paz at the end of November 2016 and will have applied for permanent resident status. We will conclude the process in La Paz. We intend to drive our vehicle from the USA to Baja and use it only there.

From what I have read so far, it seems that we do not need a special permit for this. 1) Is this correct? 2) Do we have to get Mexican plates if we live in La Paz? 3) Do we need to get a Mexican driver`s license when we are there? 4) The most important question is: I have read different information about the years of vehicles we can drive and maintain permanent visa status. We had planned to bring (drive) a 2016 Toyota. Some reports I read later do not say that 2011 is allowed. Please tell me what is correct or where I can get an official answer. We don`t want to trade in our car before we move, but more importantly, we don`t want to be confiscated when we get there. I have not been able to get the answer on the Internet so far and it is almost impossible to reach a consulate. The fees can be quite high and depend mainly on where you will be living in Mexico. Hi I don`t know if anyone has the same problem as me. When I drove my car in Mexico two years ago, I didn`t have any papers at the border! Is there a way to legalize it without taking out the car and bringing it back? I issued my permanent visa last year. Thanks for starting, finding an affordable used car in Mexico will be much harder than paying $2 to $8,000. Even at the upper end of this range, it`s highly unlikely you`ll find a decent car in Mexico that`s in good mechanical condition for less than $5 to $6,000.

“Safe Return” Procedure: If your vehicle is currently “illegal” (or becomes illegal if you switch from Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente) and you want to take the car out of the country, you can apply for a “Retorno Seguro” license from SAT, which will give you five days to drive the car out of the country (in the United States or Belize). Whether your TIP is linked to a visitor permit (FMM) or your residence permit, you can leave Mexico without your vehicle, and the vehicle will remain legal in Mexico as long as the TIP remains current (not after its expiry date). -The vehicle must be mechanically in good condition Hiring a moderator will definitely shorten the process for you from 3-4 days to about 1-2 days. Especially because they do these automatic procedures day in and day out, so they know the steps to follow and make sure you don`t have to do it yourself. If your foreign vehicle has a TIP, you don`t necessarily have to leave Mexico through the same port you entered. For example, you can import the car to the US border and export it via Belize, or you can enter through Nogales and exit through Laredo, etc. Sonora: You don`t need to apply for a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) if you want to use your vehicle in the “free zone” of the state of Sonora, which includes the popular cities of Agua Prieta, Bahia de Kino, Caborca, Guaymas, Hermosillo, Magdalena, Nogales, Puerto Peñasco, San Carlos and Santa Ana (green zone on the map, click/tap here for the full size version). If you plan to travel outside the FTZ and stay within the state, you can get a “Sonora only” permit.